Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Part Grinch, Part Scrooge

I have often said the last few years that I am the Grinch. I thought I would explain this for all my readers.

You see, I worked retail for a few years. I missed on Thanksgiving and barely made it home for on Christmas (I had to work until 8 pm Christmas Eve because people wouldn't leave the store.) For those years I saw an entirely different side to the Christmas Season. I saw that dollar signs were more important than mangers. I was forced to listen to non-religious Christmas music for hours and hours where presents and myths we tell children are glorified and worshipped. And, I had to listen to people yell at me over sweaters and t-shirts.

So, no, I don't look forward to "The Christmas Season." However, like the Grinch and Scrooge I have a change of heart on Christmas day.


I am part Grinch because I see the "toys, toys, toys" and hear the "noise, noise, noise." But my heart grows three times that day and I think, "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"


I am part Scrooge because all through December I almost dread Christmas Day. But on Christmas morning I wake up and remember Christmas Past as a small child, making sugar cookies with Mom, and listening to Frosty the Snowman on my old record player while decorating the Christmas Tree. I feel the joy of Christmas Present where my mother becomes a little girl again and sheds her light and joy on our entire family. And then I think about Christmas Future where my children circle around me and I teach them the real reason for the season - the birth of the Savior of all mankind.

So, I may be part Grinch and part Scrooge, but on Christmas Day they are two characters who truly exemplify what Christmas is about. And that ain't bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey i have to say that i love that grinch. he is so cool.But i hate schrooge. I think that it can be cool to have to sides of you.I have one of those days.

Love Bri